2.25.2022

Misery Repeats Itself: August, 1968 and February, 2022.

 On August 20, 1968, I sat alone in my railroad apartment on the fourth floor of a dark walk-up located at 214 East 85th Street in New York City.  It was nighttime when I heard the news. A National Geographic map of Czechoslovakia was next to my bed on the wall. The Russians had inavaded! It made me so sad that I began to drink. I don't remember what I was drinking, but I do remember that I took too much of the stuff. I was at the point of tears.

I was young then; I am old now. Now it's a map of Ukraine. The Russians have invaded once more. What good are an old man's tears?

I will not drink too much this time; my health will not permit it. But once again, with great sadness, I think of a country full of men, women and children being viciously  attacked militarily by its northern neighbor. What can I do? Nothing, nothing, nothing. Except document my sorrow with a blog.

I hope those that read this blog in the distant future will be living in a better world. I doubt it.

It is the night of February 25, 2022. The Russians have entered Kyiv, the capital city. The Ukranians are putting up a stiff resistance, but they are up against a vast army of Russians. I just saw a young man on TV--He could hardly speak Engish, but told the CNN reporter that it was his duty to defend his country. Was he married? Yes. Did he have children? Yes. Was he afraid?  His face assumed a tense expression as he said the following, "Only stupid persons aren't afraid!' What will happen to him? I don't know, but I know what will happen to many like him. 

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori?  Is it sweet and fitting to die for one's country? No, Horace. Amarum et decorum est pro patria mori. Replace 'sweet' with 'bitter' and there you have it. Old people have known this for centuries.

Trump's support for Putin--he claims that Putin's  strategy is 'pretty smart'--that along with the pro-Russia stance of so many of his followers is especially outrageous now. I have yet to hear the liberal media use the 'T' word. They are traitors, nevertheless. 

Once again, the vanity of one man is about to cause the death and suffering of many. He has failed his country as he shells another. 

When will we ever learn? As the chorus of the high priests reply to Tamino in Mozart's The Magic Flute--Bald, bald, oder nie! (Soon, soon, or never!)

Life is very hard as it is. (If you don't agree, Putin or no Putin, one day you almost certainly will.) To mow down human beings, the wise and the foolish; to deliberately make the latter earth before Earth has a chance to set them on age's arc, which tends to lead one to wisdom, is despicable beyond words.

When will we ever learn?

Bald, bald, oder nie?


No comments:

Post a Comment