10.31.2021

Senex's Haiku: Twelve Poems About Aging


Suddenly trapped in

A gossamer web, Gnat

Will not fly again

 

Youth imagines youth lasts

The butterfly alights

The thistle bobs


Senex is an old man

The audience laughs

He exits the stage

 

Poppies and lavender

One more spring, please

Autumn chrysanthemums

 

Squirrels on asphalt

Vultures riding thermals

Narrow roads

 

Glaciers melt

Methane rises

Earth exposed


My silence is loud

I'm humble, I'm proud

That's not allowed

 

Innocence ants

Innocent fungi

Little brains explode


76 years of failure

Haven't defeated me yet--

Entropy is a mess

 

The poem he wrote out for us

When we moved away

Is now illegible

 

Within the bare branch

‘Spring’s crinkled leaf’

Remains unseen

 

Invisible friends

Visit my grave

A lark sings

No comments:

Post a Comment