6.19.2016

Eleven Reflections on the Color Yellow


1.

It's morning.
What can I say?
Another yellow day.


2.

What do I have to live for? she asked me.
Yellow, I replied
Yellow? she questioned, surprised.
Yellow.


3.

What does yellow want?
Yellow is enough!


4.

A long time ago, an acquaintance of mine received a grant to teach poetry in the schools.  He showed me some of the interesting poems the kids came up with; I was impressed.  Over the course of half a century, however,  I forgot them all except this one, written by a Chinese girl, who at the time was about seven years old:


Yellow, yellow, yellow.
The sky is yellow, the sun
is yellow, my skin is yellow--
Must be a yellow day.


5.

Their wheelchairs are connected by their arms;
holding hands, they look up.
We who are about to die salute Thee!
Not the latest Roman emperor;
who, then?  Emperor Sun.


6.

Their bodies are connected; they're holding hands.
The nurse, from her side of the glass, shows them
two swaddled infants, twins.
We, for those about to live, salute Thee!
Not the latest Emperor Narcissus;
you, then?  Emperor Sun.


7.

It's also the color of urine!
Precisely.


8.

Do you really understand
why the egg stain on a toddler's bib
is just the way it is?
If you do, congratulations!
You know everything now.


9. 

When the yellow bird stops singing,
you know you are trapped in your Mine.


10. 

Yellow is nature.  Yellow is indifferent;
this is the way it should be--
Yellow is also our nature, yet
human beings must be different.
This is the way it should be.


11.

It's midnight.
What can I say?
Another yellow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment