2.10.2011

THE LAST TWO POEMS FROM INDIA

18. SISTER WIGBERTA

Are there rulers to smack hands in Heaven?
Her faith said yes, yet she had doubts about cosmic injustice
but not about her calling: corporal punishment

That's why I'm here. We begged Christ to send her
to a back room in San Francisco, dressed
in a G string, pasties and chains--

Why should My children waste prayer-time on that,
since that's what I've already done?

No no no that's not what happened:

she went on to excoriate knuckles for years;
I went to business school and became
CEO of a huge unconcern--

No need for envy. Inside
I'm still an ant on a snowball in hell
with Sister Wigberta on skis.

19. WRITTEN ON THE WAY HOME

I might be broken, even shattered,
yet even shards that cannot reassemble
have, beyond entropy, one consolation:
the piece that can't be swept away;
nobody, not even God,
can trash what I actually am.

The difference between you and me
is that you, you lucky bastard,
are so strongly rooted in illusion
you imagine yourself lord of creation
and almost are--With the right equipment
you might soon found a new nation on Mars
and forget, till the next catastrophe,
you aren't immortal, but, like me,
glass underfoot, returning to sand.

No need to fear--
That innermost piece reflects every image
since the beginning--
Separation hurts; what doesn't?
Scission, what do you have to confess?
I guess I could have been a little bit better at self-realization.
(You excel at understatement)
Another: plain truths are so sad.
Just once let me feel my original face,
the uncreated countenance of--

Why are you laughing? Who's laughing?
I get it;
I'm laughing, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment